Croquettes are basically mashed potato in a breadcrumb casing, rolled up into little sausages and either fried/baked or grilled.
Croquettes are great finger food items for baby led weaning.
This croquette recipe is packed with lots of textures and flavours and I kind of accidentally tried this out as really I put together a bunch of left over vegetables at home which in turn led to this.
The mozzarella cheese makes the big difference as it really helps to merge well with the broccoli and mushroom.
|Suitable from 6 months onwards|
|Portion: 15||Prep time: 15 min||Cooking time: 10- 15 min (depending on how many batches you make|
|2 tablespoon of vegetable oil|
|1/2 a medium onion, chopped|
|3-4 chestnut mushrooms, chopped|
|1 medium carrot, peeled cut into small pieces|
|a handful of spinach|
|1 small garlic clove, crushed|
|1 small white potato|
|1 small sweet potato|
|50 gram of breadcrumbs|
|a handful of mozzarella cheese|
|1 small sized egg, cracked and whisked in a bowel for coating|
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan. Add in onion, mushroom, carrot and garlic. Fry for 5 minutes on medium heat. Add in the spinach and cook some more until wilted.
- In the microwave cook the potatoes for 10 minutes until soft. Leave to cool, scoop out the potato filling and place in a bowl.
- Add in the cooked vegetables, half of the breadcrumbs and cheese to the scooped potato filling. mix well so it is all blended.
- With your hand scoop out a small ball and roll into small sausage shapes. Dip into the whisked egg and coat in the remaining breadcrumbs as to cover it.
- Heat the remaining oil, add more if you think it is necessary, fry the croquettes for 3-4 minutes each side until golden and cooked through – be sure to not over fry as this will burn.
- Be sure to drain the oil on kitchen paper and cool before serving.
Can be frozen
These croquettes after frying them, can be frozen and when you want to feed this to your little one, simply take out, let it thaw for a couple of our at room temperature. Reheat in a pre-heated over an gas mark 4 for 10 minutes.
The Soul Tamer x